The adage that “knowledge is power” holds true in finding the best senior living fit for you or a family member. If you start doing research early, you will be much better prepared when a move to a senior community is the right choice.
Tips for finding the right senior community:
- realistically assess your or your relative’s physical and mental health condition to determine what types of communities you should look at – independent, assisted living, memory care or skilled nursing; their doctor can help you with this and most senior communities have an evaluation process to help you with placement determination
- financial needs – there are great options in northern Nevada for most budgets, bearing in mind that, as with many products, you get what you pay for in terms of services, amenities and dining
- research all appropriate communities in the area on the internet or better yet, ask friends and professionals who they might recommend
- if you call or visit a community that may not be the right one for your family’s needs, ask the sales professional there for any recommendations – we’re a tight-knit group of professionals in our area and most of us are glad to give suggestions and referrals
- visit as many communities as you can – you may want to do some footwork on your own before narrowing the choices for your elderly relative to visit
- questions to ask about a community include staffing numbers, what types of activities and classes are available, what systems are in place in case of emergency, staff longevity, turnover and retention rates
- always try to have a meal (or more) at any community you may be seriously considering; the dining experience is one of the most important aspects in senior living so you must try the food – it’s also a good way to get a sense of the ambience of a community and to observe how staff members interact with residents
Ceci Martin is Sales Director at Five Star Premier Residences of Reno, an exceptional senior living community in SW Reno. She can be reached at 775-829-6320.